[ANSTHRLD] Help conflict checking a badge

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue Mar 4 21:07:48 PST 2003

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, doug bell <magnus77840 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> The entry for 106b in the Pic Dic states that King
> and pawn weren't used in period as heraldic charges
> but the forms shown in the Pic Dic date from 1482.

... and are therefore registerable as period artifacts, as noted in
Rules for Submission VII.3:

    3.  Period Artifacts - Artifacts that were known in the period and
        domain of the Society may be registered in armory, provided
        they are depicted in their period forms.

        A pen, for instance, must be depicted as a quill pen or other
        period form, not a fountain pen.  A wheel must be depicted as
        a wagon wheel, not a rubber tire from an automobile.

> No one can seem to agree on what a period pawn looks like.

Um, er?  As you wrote, the Pict Dict depiction is at least *one*
period picture.  It says "In actual fact, any period depiction of a
chess piece is acceptable", which matches with RfS VII.3 above.  As
with any period artifact, anyone is free to research it.

> I think Elspeth

With a "b": "Elsbeth".  (Took me a while to learn.)

> is way off base with this ruling.
>
> "The Pictorial Dictionary of Heraldry states that the standard
> modern depiction of chess pawns, as seen here, was not found in
> period. Therefore this must be redrawn using a period form of chess
> pawn." [Fionn Ua N=E9ill, 01/00, R-An Tir]
> Te Staunton design I have on the coffee table is post
> period.

Um, what?  Bruce said it was post-period.  Metron Ariston's commentary
at the time said it was post-period, because Bruce said it was
post-period:

    chess pawn is post-period and should not be used.  This is a
    Staunton pawn.

Elsbeth said it's post-period.  _You_ say it's post-period.
Please explain why Elsbeth was way off-base.

> Care for a game of chess Daniel?

Mate.

Daniel de Lincolia
--