[ANSTHRLD] Blazon

Blaise de Cormeilles blaise at scadian.net
Fri Mar 28 11:46:42 PST 2003

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 01:09:11PM -0600, BOWERMAN, MATTHEW S. (JSC-DV1) (USA) wrote:
> How would one blazon "Or, Three Lozenges Azure"? That is on a Gold Field,
> three blue Lozenges across the middle, the center one being higher than the
> outside two.  I used the blazon above, and the Armory said it was not a
> valid description.

What search form are you using?  The "Armory Description" form isn't
looking for a blazon, but for the coding used in the Armorial database
for a particular element of the design.

(For example "three lozenges azure" would be LOZENGE:3:azure .)

However, the other problem I see is that if the three lozenges are close
enough together vertically that the bottom of the topmost is below the
top of the bottom two, then it is probably returnable as a non-period
arrangement of charges.

If there is one near the top of the shield and two near the bottom of
the shield, then it is "Or, three lozenges one and two azure."  (The
SCA traditionally capitalizes only the first word of the blazon, proper
nouns, and the term Or.)

Blaise
--
Jim Trigg, Lord High Everything Else  O-          /"\
SKA Seigneur Blaise de Cormeilles                 \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN