[ANSTHRLD] Tristan St Catherine wheel badge

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Fri Mar 28 14:49:47 PST 2003

"Chris Norman" <chris at cncnorman.com> wrote:
> (Fieldless) On a Maltese cross Gules a Catherine's wheel Or.
>
> I like the visual appearance of this badge

You have a much wworse problem as with "on a Catherine's wheel a
Maltest cross".  In the case above, the Catherine's wheel would have
to be entirely on the intersection of the cross.  A Maltese cross has
four NCC-1701 Enterprise uniform symbols meeting at a point at the
center:
    <http://www.geocities.co.jp/Milano/7193/gif/m166a.gif>

There *is* no space at the intersection for a wheel or any other
charge.  It's physically impossible.  Any non-zero size wheel is
iether barely overall or non-trivial area of intersection, both of
which again cause an instant return.

There is room out on the arms of the cross, so you could do
    (Fieldless) A Maltese cross gules charged on the chiefmost arms
    with a Catherine's wheel Or.

    (Fieldless) On a Maltese cross gules four Catherine wheels Or.

Neither of them much resemble a period badge that I've seen, and the
second has four times as many complicated-outline wheels to draw.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address