[ANSTHRLD] New Herald -- help!

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Mon Mar 31 12:21:31 PST 2003

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 01:48:32PM -0800, Aelfhelm wrote:
> As my device is "Vert, three sheep statent argent," I thought that
> "(Fieldless) A sheep statent argent" would be nifty.  Pointing my
> confuser's Webb browser to the SCA Ordinary (under, oddly enough, "Beast
> -- Goat") I discovered that there's a few items there that I think
> conflict, to wit:
> * (Fieldless) A ram statent sable.
> * (Fieldless) A sheep statant sable mullety Or

Nifty indeed!

> Am I correct, in that my proposed badge would be in conflict with at
> least one (if not both) of these badges?  Secondly, any advice on how to
> GET it clear?  I'd like to keep the badge fieldless if possible, with
> just the one argent sheep, but I wouldn't mind adding something if need
> be.  Any advice?

Nope, neither conflict.

When checking for conflicts, you are (in general) looking for two Clear
Differences (CDs).  You always get one CD for a fieldless badge (RfS
X.4.a.iii), so now you're only looking for one other change.  Since you
know you can ignore any armory that has anything besides one (1) sheep,
you knock a whole bunch of them out.  (There are a few with 1 sheep and
nothing else that you did not list, but they are clear also.)  Why?
Because additions of other charges (X.4.b), or number of primary charges
(X.4.f), or addition of tertiary charges (X.4.i) all give you one CD.

Next you can get CDs for tincture change (X.4.d), arrangement (hard, but
possible, to do with just one sheep, X.4.g), and posture change (X.4.h).
Since both of the above devices have sable sheep, and your sheep is
argent, there's your second CD.

The armory that's actually closest to what you propose is Gleann
Abhann's badge "(Fieldless) A ram clymant argent."

Same color, facing the same direction, so you're down to just the
difference between statant and clymant.  I believe 'clymant' is
essentially 'rampant' for goats (or at least there's no difference
granted between 'clymant' and 'rampant').  There is a CD for the change
between 'rampant' and 'statant', so there's your second CD.

-Emma

--
Jennifer Smith
jds at randomgang.com