[ANSTHRLD] looking for historic info

Diane Rudin serena1570 at yahoo.com
Thu May 15 20:07:10 PDT 2003

--- "Haines, Paul" <PHA at allseas.com> wrote:

> Does anybody have good sources of information for historical English
> titles and lands?

Hmmm...William Blackstone's *Commentaries on the Laws of England* (four
volumes) include sections on land law, but I can't remember in which
volumes; written in the 1760's, it was THE reference on English law
through the 1950's; includes lots of history.  Pollock & Maitland's
*History of English Law* (two volumes) also goes over land law at
various points; written around 1900, it was a seminal work in modern
research about English legal history, covering the period from Roman
rule to the reign of Edward I.  Closer to period, and therefore harder
to read, is Coke's *Institutes of the Laws of England* (four volumes),
printed in the first half of the 1600's, and I can't remember off the
top of my head which volumes have the most information on the land law.
 Just about everything written in period was written in law-French, a
hopelessly corrupted form of Latin.