[ANSTHRLD] German name resources

Sara L Friedemann liana at ellipsis.cx
Tue Sep 9 06:46:22 PDT 2003

Quoth R C:

> and the list is very limited. He is looking for
> 11-1200's. Also most of what I find is first name

Another good resources is the Medieval Names Archive, particularly
the German section:

http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/german.shtml

> only, no family naming structures or practices seem to
> be listed. If anyone knows where I might find more
> resouces in print or on-line it would be greatly

I'm not aware of any good online resources for German naming
practices and surnames.  In the realm of books, Hans Bahlow's
_Dictionary of German Names_, which deals with surnames, has
been translated into English so is quite accessible.  Josef
Brechenmacher's _Etymologisches Woerterbuch der deutschen
Familiennamen_ is also a good resource.  Both these books should
be available at any good research library.

-Aryanhwy

--
vita sine literis mors est
http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/