Fw: [ANSTHRLD] Armory Conflict Check Request

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Mon Dec 27 06:50:51 PST 2004

Lady Galiana responded to me:

RoG> The symbolism of the Ansteorran kingdom arms is the
RoG> rising star of Ansteorra and the setting sun of
RoG> Atenveldt.  It's crucial to the meaning that the
RoG> demi-sun is in base, and is red.  The gold sun is
RoG> the kingdom symbol of somewhere else.  Atenveldt uses
RoG> the gold sun as their kingdom symbol, and we use the
RoG> red one to contrast us from our mother kingdom.

>Don Robin-
>
>This badge is for the office of Kingdom Historian. The
> golden demi-sun was, I believe, included specifically
> as a reference to our mother kingdom. The Kingdom
> Historian, Honorable Lady Annes, believed it was
> appropriate as a symbol both of where we as a kingdom
> have been (the golden tincture) and where we are now.
> (the fact that it is a rising sun)

> Your concern is certainly a valid one, and one that
> was certainly taken into account.

Do you really think that the historians want their badge to reflect a lack
of knowledge of Ansteorra's history?

Heraldry has meaning.  A red sun is the symbol of Ansteorra's history as a
part of Atenveldt.  A yellow sun is not.  It is, by contrast, a symbol of
Atenveldt, just as the black star is a symbol of Ansteorra.

If we ever design a badge owned equally by the two different kingdoms, it
should have a black star and a yellow sun.  A yellow sun implies that this
is Atenveldt's badge just as much as ours.  A red sun is a symbol of our
history with Ansteorra.  In this issue, perhaps we should listen to Her
Excellency Mistress Clare Rosmuire St. John -- the only person on this list
who helped design Ansteorra's armory.  She stated that "To change the color
of the demi-sun is basically to change the meaning of why the demi sun was
on the Kingdom device in the first place."  The sun should either be removed
from the Historian's badge, or be used in accordance with Ansteorra's
history.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin

(I'm sending a copy of this post to the Kingdom Historian.  I suspect that
she doesn't realize what the change of color means symbolically.)