[ANSTHRLD] Heraldic Regalia

kobrien at texas.net kobrien at texas.net
Thu Feb 5 11:27:06 PST 2004

> At 08:36 AM 2/5/2004, you wrote:
> >I'm not sure if each GoOf has a badge for their office, but I would
> >think that you would not use the black star on group officer's
> >medallions, simply to avoid confusing them with Kingdom Officers. Also,
> >what would you do about officer's in between groups and kingdom, such as
> >regionals, or in a heraldic example, Pursuivant's/Herald's at large?
>
> I have a seal of office but not a collar or official insignia.  I am
> working on a tabard to remain with the office.  The principal herald wears
> the kingdom arms (when I wear a tabard) because that job is always as the
> herald of the Crown as steward of Their Majesties' College of Heralds, not
> just during court.

This reminds me of a story I was told.  I can't remember now who told me this
story.  Might have been Daniel, might have been Zenobia.  I can't recall...

Anyway, a number of years ago, on a particular heraldic test, there was a
question along the lines of:

"You walk up to two people who are talking.  Both are wearing the tabards of
the East Kingdom.  You address the man on the left as 'Your Majesty'.  How do
you address the person on the right?"

The answer they were looking for was "Brigantia" (principal herald for the
East).  (Credit was given to the person who answered, "Hi, Arval!" since Arval
Benicouer had held the title of Brigantia for quite awhile at that point.)

I actually had a good "tabard" moment at Pennsic when they were doing the
switchover for the Laurel Sovereign of Arms when Francois was getting the job.
We were prepping for the ceremony at the back of Great Court when I walked away
for a couple of minutes.  On my way out, I passed a couple of merchant booths
across from Great Court.  One merchant just stared at my tabard as I walked
by.  (I was wearing the tabard that currently goes with the Pelican Sovereign
of Arms office.)  On my way back, the gentleman held up his hand and
said, "Pardon me, my lady."  I stopped and he stared more at the tabard, then
said, "Those aren't the arms of the West..."  I smiled and replied, "No,
they're the arms of the SCA."  He looked up in confusion and I explained that I
was a sovereign of arms, so, since I was representing heraldry at the corporate
level, I wore the arms of the SCA.  He thought that was kinda cool.  :)

Mari