[ANSTHRLD] Heraldic Regalia

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Thu Feb 5 19:06:17 PST 2004

> I actually had a good "tabard" moment at Pennsic when they were doing the
> switchover for the Laurel Sovereign of Arms when Francois was getting the job.
> We were prepping for the ceremony at the back of Great Court when I walked away
> for a couple of minutes.  On my way out, I passed a couple of merchant booths
> across from Great Court.  One merchant just stared at my tabard as I walked
> by.  (I was wearing the tabard that currently goes with the Pelican Sovereign
> of Arms office.)  On my way back, the gentleman held up his hand and
> said, "Pardon me, my lady."  I stopped and he stared more at the tabard, then
> said, "Those aren't the arms of the West..."  I smiled and replied, "No,
> they're the arms of the SCA."  He looked up in confusion and I explained that I
> was a sovereign of arms, so, since I was representing heraldry at the corporate
> level, I wore the arms of the SCA.  He thought that was kinda cool.  :)

Zenobia was wearing the brand-new Wreath tabard at An Tir Kingdom Heraldic
Symposium two years ago, and teaching "Heralds in Period".  Her class
presentation got to tabards and she stood up and modeled.  A timid, new, but
very savvy herald on the edge of the room aid, "But ...  Well, to me that
tabard says 'I'm the SCA'."  She was complimented by Zenobia who agreed,
and said, "Yes, I'm Wreath Sovereign of Arms".

- Teceangl
--
   This would give a headache to any herald who had to look at it long
	enough to blazon it. (KFW, 11 Aug 77 [14], p. 6)