[ANSTHRLD] Heraldic Regalia

Jacquie Ziegler shauna at bresnan.net
Fri Feb 6 03:12:20 PST 2004

Greetings!

>I actually had a good "tabard" moment at Pennsic when they were doing the
 >switchover for the Laurel Sovereign of Arms when Francois was getting the
job.
 >We were prepping for the ceremony at the back of Great Court when I walked
away
>for a couple of minutes.  On my way out, I passed a couple of merchant
booths
 >across from Great Court.  One merchant just stared at my tabard as I
walked
 >by.  (I was wearing the tabard that currently goes with the Pelican
Sovereign
 >of Arms office.)  On my way back, the gentleman held up his hand and
 >said, "Pardon me, my lady."  I stopped and he stared more at the tabard,
then
 >said, "Those aren't the arms of the West..."  I smiled and replied, "No,
 >they're the arms of the SCA."  He looked up in confusion and I explained
that I
 >was a sovereign of arms, so, since I was representing heraldry at the
corporate
 >level, I wore the arms of the SCA.  He thought that was kinda cool.  :)

Is there generally a ceremony for the change-over? I hadn't heard of it,
routinely, but I have never attended Pennsic (yet). Am I expected to attend
any particular event that I have not yet been told about? Need to adjust my
travel plans for the Spring/Summer if so - and they are pretty jam-packed at
the moment!

Mistress Shauna of Carrick Point
Laurel Designate