[ANSTHRLD] Heraldic Regalia

Jon South jonsouth at centurytel.net
Thu Feb 5 11:40:17 PST 2004

My apologies, evidently I did not make myself clear.

The concept I envision is that you would have a chain composed of
individual small plaques joined by links. This chain would have the
badge of office/symbol of office pendant from the front.  The small
plaques that form the chain would bear devices or arms as appropriate
for the group.  For a Shire (not under a Barony) the chain would consist
of plaques bearing the shire device/arms alternating with plaques
bearing either the kingdom device/arms or perhaps just the star of
Ansteorra.  A chain for a canton under a barony would consist of plaques
alternating the device/arms of the canton with those of the barony and
the kingdom. If a group/entity has a badge the individual plaques
forming the chain could consist of the badge rather than the
device/arms.  This would provide a distinct visual clue of what group
the chain wearer belonged to, and the symbol/badge of office would
indicate what that person does for the group delineated by the chain.
 If you like I can come up with an image to show what I think I'm
talking about <g>.

Etienne,

The link I previously posted about Collar of SS, form A Glossary of
Terms Used in Heraldry by James Parker,
http://www02.so-net.ne.jp/%7Esaitou/cgi-bin/more.cgi?input=Collar%20of%20SS,
lists the Royal officials who have Collars of SS as part of their
official regalia - the Kings of Arms and the Heralds are included in
this list.

The following links lead to period paintings showing Collars of Office,
notably the Collar for members of the Order of the Golden Fleece, the
Order of the Garter, and secular offices such as Chancellor.  So collars
evidently began as symbols of membership in orders of chivalry but
evolved to become also symbols of specific offices.

Holbein
<http://www.kfki.hu/%7Earthp/html/h/holbein/hans_y/1528/index.html>
 Guildford wearing the Order of the Garter, Sir Thomas More wearing the
Chancellor's chain of the Duchy of Lancaster (if you enlarge the
painting the details of the chain are clear, showing the portcullis, and
Tudor rose symbology of Lancaster)

Weyden <http://www.kfki.hu/%7Earthp/html/w/weyden/rogier/16portra/> all
showing chain of the Golden Fleece (Philip the Good, Charles the Bold,
Anthony of Burgundy)

Carpaccio
<http://www.kfki.hu/%7Earthp/html/c/carpacci/1ursula/1/30return.html>
 depicts a Steward of Venice with his chain of office

Coustens
<http://www.kfki.hu/%7Earthp/html/c/carpacci/1ursula/1/30return.html>
depicts the Chain of the Order of the Golden Fleece incorporated into
the achievements for an individuals arms (neat idea for members of
chivalric orders!).

I will continue to research this area.  So far period paintings (with
commentary) seem to be proving to be excellent sources.

Ivo