[ANSTHRLD] Wherein Snorri Bangs his Head Against a Wall

kobrien at texas.net kobrien at texas.net
Mon Feb 2 11:07:43 PST 2004

> First, going back to a comment about Vikings and fur-wearing barbarians in
> this thread (for which Snorri was not responsible), while there is evidence
> of some fur cloaks from Birka, wet fur doesn't do much for keeping you warm.
> Wool does, even when wet.  Therefore it's not too surprising to find in that
> climate that actual Viking Age folk were much likelier to wear outergarments
> made of fake fur - a woven textile with combed wool tufts looped in - than

So fake fur is period (though not in the modern polyester form).  I love it!

> actual fur.  Or just good old vaðmal, woven tight.  Vikings were not
> fur-wearing barbarians - we sell the fur south and take the silver, thank
> you very much.

Sounds good to me!

> Snorri, compare these:

Way spif info!  This just begs to become an article on ideas for Norse personas
if you want to register an SCA device.  And now I notice from the end of your
list that Thora's done one like that.  If these links aren't available in her
article, then this info begs to be a "further ideas" type list to use after
reading her article or something similar.

Coooooool.  :)

Mari