[ANSTHRLD] Wherein Snorri Bangs his Head Against a Wall ...

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Tue Feb 3 10:37:32 PST 2004

Aryanhwy responded to me:

RoG> You can have it; it's just not blazoned that way.  It has been
RoG> established since at least the 1980s that "paly of three X, Y
RoG> and Z" is reblazoned as "Per pale X and Z, a pale Y".

> Except that "Tierced in fess X Y Z" can't be reblazoned as "Per
> fess X and Z, a fess Y" or "Y, a chief X and a base Z", because
> those are both drawn (slightly) differently).

I certainly agree with you graphically, but it's quite common for the
College of Arms to decide that slight differences are heraldically
unimportant.

I admit that I'm just getting back involved with College, and am unsure of
current practice.  If the convention I cited has changed, could you please
give me a citation or precedent or example of arms registered as "Tierced in
fess X Y Z" or "Y, a chief X and a base Z"?  I had assumed that the SCA
College of Arms still registers such things as "Per fess X and Z, a fess Y"
.

If I'm wrong, I'd like to know it.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin