[ANSTHRLD] Wherein Snorri Bangs his Head Against a Wall ...

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Tue Feb 3 18:34:31 PST 2004

> You can have it; it's just not blazoned that way.  It has been established
> since at least the 1980s that "paly of three X, Y and Z" is reblazoned as
> "Per pale X and Z, a pale Y".  The major effects of this are that it adds
> another layer, and affects tincture rules.  You can't have paly of three
> gules, vert and azure, for instance, because that's a color bend on a color
> field -- even though you intended it as just a color field.

Well, since I've never seen any period or post-period mundane heraldic
treatises save one (and this one assured me that a fleur-de-lys is intended
to be a headdress of some sort) use tierced in a bend/pale/fess division, I
tend to believe it's not real.

> If there's a specific precedent, it is from Ioseph of Locksley or earlier.

There isn't.  I went all the way back.

- Teceangl
--
   This would give a headache to any herald who had to look at it long
	enough to blazon it. (KFW, 11 Aug 77 [14], p. 6)