[ANSTHRLD] Heraldic staff

Paul Haines wyrmclaw at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 6 17:32:45 PST 2004

There's a couple accouterments that might be getting mixed up here, namely
the baton and the staff.  The white baton is the smaller of the two and
(from what I have gathered) is what  missives, scrolls, etc. were wrapped
around for the herald to carry them safely.  I think their use started
somewhere in Roman times.  The staff (gold and green) is the tool for
banging on the floor to get the people's attention before you do something
vocal.

Let me recommend that before you worry about either of these bits of finery,
you get yourself a good herald's book.  The book and a tabbard are (I think)
the most important items you should get outfitted with.  Most herald's books
I've seen are basically a large leather-bound bi-fold style folder, maybe
with pockets inside, pen holder optional (but handy).  In it, you will keep
a large notepad, blank COURT REPORTS, pen/pencil, maybe award texts (always
good to have handy at any event), and award scrolls that are given to you by
the crown to read in court.  I haven't seen too many books big enough to fit
the large scrolls we use here in Ansteorra. (Everything's bigger here, ya
know).  You'll write up your court script on the paper and have it safely
hidden in front of you to refer back to when you need it.  The really nice
thing about the book is that it hides the mundanity of what you're holding,
and keeps the scrolls safe and away from prying eyes.  No one wants to have
been taken back in time at a wonderous event and then get suddenly wrenched
to 2004 because the herald is holding a spiral bound notebook with pages
sticking out.  I've seen nicely made books by SCA craftspeople that have
branch or kingdom arms tooled and dyed into the fronts that really look
sharp.

I don't know many heralds that work regularly with a baton or staff.  I've
never seen a baton used in the SCA, and I've only recall seeing a staff used
once.  Most heralds need their hands free for other things.  If you want
some other ideas of what else you will want handy, just let me know.  I'm
happy to share the contents of my herald's kit.  The only secret in it is
chocolate...oh nuts...so much for the secret. ;)

~Alden