[ANSTHRLD] Heraldic staff

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Fri Feb 6 18:30:51 PST 2004

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 07:32:45PM -0600, Alden wrote:
> I don't know many heralds that work regularly with a baton or staff.  I've
> never seen a baton used in the SCA, and I've only recall seeing a staff used
> once.  Most heralds need their hands free for other things.

Our current Golden Staff, Seamus, has a LOVELY herald's baton that was
given to the kingdom by (I believe) Artemisia.  (He has a neat story
about it -- ask him sometime!)  At Kingdom A&S/Tribute, I believe he
only used it in the hour or so before court, doing the agenda thing.
During court he held the court book, of course, but occasionally
switched to the baton when the book wasn't needed for a while.

It's basically a thin table leg, painted white, with gold and black
ribbons stuck in the fat end. Looks quite spiffy.

-Emma

--
Jennifer Smith
jds at randomgang.com