[ANSTHRLD] Heraldic staff

Jon South jonsouth at centurytel.net
Fri Feb 6 19:41:15 PST 2004

My thanks, this is exactly the kind of information I've been needing!

Paul Haines wrote:

>There's a couple accouterments that might be getting mixed up here, namely
>the baton and the staff.  The white baton is the smaller of the two and
>(from what I have gathered) is what  missives, scrolls, etc. were wrapped
>around for the herald to carry them safely.  I think their use started
>somewhere in Roman times.  The staff (gold and green) is the tool for
>banging on the floor to get the people's attention before you do something
>vocal.

According to information I've run across (I've got to start bookmarking
more <sheepish grin>) one or the main purposes of the baton/wand was to
roll a scroll/proclamation around it and unroll it as it was being read
since it was apparently nearly impossible to hold a scroll and read from
it using just two hands - the baton stabilized things enough for it to
work.   And, I was talking about the staff not the baton.

>Let me recommend that before you worry about either of these bits of finery,
>you get yourself a good herald's book.  The book and a tabbard are (I think)
>the most important items you should get outfitted with.

Hooray! Another A&S project.....

>I don't know many heralds that work regularly with a baton or staff.  I've
>never seen a baton used in the SCA, and I've only recall seeing a staff used
>once.  Most heralds need their hands free for other things.

 From what I've read (still trying to re-locate those sites - got to
start bookmarking) apparently the only use for the staff is to open and
close court - bang three times on floor (much as a Judge uses a gavel).

>If you want
>some other ideas of what else you will want handy, just let me know.  I'm
>happy to share the contents of my herald's kit.  The only secret in it is
>chocolate...oh nuts...so much for the secret. ;)

Please, please feel free to contact me off-list to initiate dialog or
just send me a list of essentials!

>~Alden

Again my thanks, this is very useful,

Yours In Service,