[ANSTHRLD] Device resub questions - Lete Bithespring - long email - much copying from LoAR and AG

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue Feb 10 20:56:17 PST 2004

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 Brent.Ryder at compucom.com <heralds at ansteorra.org> wrote:
> The second I am not so sure about. There have been a number of
> recent ruling on 'pretense' and more to the point 'escutcheons of
> pretense' so I am not sure if there is a problem with it still or
> not.

Not sure what's unclear.  6/01 cover letter:

   XI.4. Arms of Pretense and Augmentations of Honor - Armory that uses
   charges in such a way as to appear to be arms of pretense or an
   unearned augmentation of honor is considered presumptuous

     Period and modern heraldic practice asserts a claim to land or
     property by surmounting an individual's usual armory with a
     display of armory associated with that claim.  Such arms of
     pretense are placed on an escutcheon.  Similarly, an augmentation
     of honor often, though not necessarily, takes the form of an
     independent coat placed on an escutcheon or canton.  Generally,
     therefore, a canton or a single escutcheon may only be used if it
     is both uncharged and of a single tincture.  For example, Argent,
     a fess gules surmounted by an escutcheon sable charged with a
     roundel argent has the appearance of being arms of pretense or an
     augmentation.  Or, in saltire five escutcheons sable each charged
     with three roundels argent does not have this appearance, as it
     has multiple escutcheons, as so is acceptable.  The exception to
     the restrictions of this rule is when the submitter is entitled to
     an augmentation as described in RfS VIII.7. Augmentations of
     Honor.

The old ruling added "other geometric charges such as roundels,
cartouches, etc.", so roundels should now be fine.

10/03, for example:

  Gwineth Llynllwyd. Device. Gules, on a lozenge Or a catamount
  rampant sable.

      ... Note that a lozenge charged with a single charge does not
      violate RfS XI.4, "Arms of Pretense and Augmentations of Honor".
      As noted in the August 2001 LoAR, "[on a lozenge argent a fleur-
      de-lys gules] As per the rules change in the cover letter to the
      June 2001 LoAR, the fact that the charged shape is not an
      escutcheon means that this is not an inescutcheon of pretense.
      An inescutcheon charged with a single charge also avoids the
      appearance of an inescutcheon of pretense. While this armory is
      evocative of the city of Florence, whose arms are Argent, a
      fleur-de-lys gules, it is acceptable." This armory similarly
      does not appear to display an inescutcheon of pretense of
      Flanders, Or a lion rampant sable.

Daniel "WARNING: NO WARRANTY IMPLIED OR EXPLICIT COMES WITH THIS
MESSAGE.  USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.  ADVISOR WILL NOT BE HELD LEGALLY OR
FINANCIALLY RESPONSIBLE IF SOMEONE, USING THE INFORMATION HERE,
SUBMITS BUT GETS THEIR SUBMISSION RETURNED.  ADVISOR SPEAKS FOR
HIMSELF ONLY AND NOT FOR THE LAUREL OFFICE, FOR ANSTEORRA, OR FOR SCA
INC." de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com; work is tmcd at us.ibm.com.