[ANSTHRLD] Looking for Help with a Middle Eastern Name

Etienne de St. Amaranth star at ansteorra.org
Mon Jan 5 07:23:05 PST 2004

Susan,

I know little about Arabic names and will also await what commentary your
question generates.  However, I have encountered the ending "iyya" attached
to the end of a name component twice.  In both cases, it was added to the
end of a noun to note that the person was female.  In one case, it was
added to the end of the Arabic word for Cordoba (city in Spain) to note a
female from Cordoba.  In the other case, it was added to the end of the
Arabic word "beduoin" (and I am sure I mis-spelled that) to note a female
beduoin.  I have never seen it added to the end of an actual name.  But, I
don't know Arabic so I will also await answers.

Etienne
Star Principal Herald