[ANSTHRLD] border, CD and crescent questions

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Thu Jan 8 19:55:00 PST 2004

> Quoth Teceangl:
>>> When putting a border on a device, does the border cover anything along the
>>> outer edge of the shield or does it surround it? I think I know this, but
>>> need to confirm.
>>
>> A bordure surrounds everything except a chief.
>
> I'm not so sure you can make this blanket statement; that's why
> I asked Brigid for a concrete example.  For instance, if you
> have strewn charges on the field, I wouldn't be surprised to
> see the bordure covering up the ones at the edge.  The bordure
> will also overly other ordinaries, such as pales, chevrons, fesses,
> bases, etc.

The most famous semy-and-bordure combination I've seen is France Ancient, and
last night when reading heraldry books (snowed in, enjoying the opportunity)
I saw a lot of examples.  None had the bordure over any fleurs.  Same w
bordures on ermine fields, nothing cut off.  I think the 'giftwrap even'
version of semy is modern and not really good for re-creation use.

Have you any period examples of charges in semy being cut off by the bordure?

- Teceangl
--
    "Black is the color of my love's true hair...."
							 -FKV