[ANSTHRLD] border, CD and crescent questions

Sara L Friedemann liana at ellipsis.cx
Thu Jan 8 19:41:15 PST 2004

Quoth Teceangl:
> > When putting a border on a device, does the border cover anything along the
> > outer edge of the shield or does it surround it? I think I know this, but
> > need to confirm.
>
> Where to find the answer to this question:
> http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/precedents.html
>
> A bordure surrounds everything except a chief.

I'm not so sure you can make this blanket statement; that's why
I asked Brigid for a concrete example.  For instance, if you
have strewn charges on the field, I wouldn't be surprised to
see the bordure covering up the ones at the edge.  The bordure
will also overly other ordinaries, such as pales, chevrons, fesses,
bases, etc.

-Aryanhwy

--
vita sine literis mors est