[ANSTHRLD] Polish name help

Sara L Friedemann liana at ellipsis.cx
Sun Jan 11 13:15:49 PST 2004

Quoth jds at randomgang.com:
> He wants "Martyn Lucas Polska".
>
> I do not know, however, if double-given names are appropriate at all for
> Polish.

There is no precedent against double given names in Polish, but I would
think that specific examples of double given names would be needed
as part of the documentation of this name.

> His only documentation for the surname "Polska" was a photocopy of a

What is he intending this byname to mean?  Is it supposed to mean
"of Poland/Polish"?  Because if the docs for <Polska> don't pan out,
and this is the meaning he wants, he may be interested in using
<Polonus>:

"As Polonus means 'the Pole' or 'of Poland', this name conflicts with
the three kings…: Wladyslaw I (king of Poland from 1306), Wladyslaw II
(king from 1386) and Wladyslaw III (king from 1434). [Wladyslaw Polonus,
04/00, R-Æthelmearc]"

> book cover (not the publication page, alas), entitled "Szlachta Polska.
> i jej Pa{n'}stwo".  Subtitled/written by "Muzeum Tradyeji
> Niepodlegloscionwych w Lodzi ul. Gda{n'}ska 13".  Help?

Ah hah!  My library has this:

Maciszewski, Jarema. Szlachta polska i jej pa{n'}stwo.
(Warszawa : "Wiedza Powszechna", 1986.)

The OCLC subject headings for this title are:

Nobility--Poland--History.
Poland--Politics and government--To 1572.
Poland--Politics and government--1572-1763.
Poland--Politics and government--1763-1793.

I can run upstairs and get it.  (I love working in a library).

-Aryanhwy

--
vita sine literis mors est
http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/