[ANSTHRLD] Wherein Snorri Bangs his Head Against a Wall ...

Snorri Hallsson snorri at houston.rr.com
Fri Jan 30 11:15:03 PST 2004

In the October 2003 LoAR, my name passed Laurel.  (Woo and yay.)  In the
same LoAR, however, my device got returned for the following reasons:

Paly azure and argent - Unfortunately, this beautiful armory conflicts with
Rolf Jarsson, Per pale azure and argent, a pale counterchanged. Rolf's
armory is visually too similar to Paly of four azure and argent to be
considered different from that armory. There is no difference between paly
of four and the default paly (of six).

Well, at least I got a "beautiful armory" - been wanting that for seven
years.  Darn, I'm easy to please.  Anyhoo ... so this now rules out any
instance of "Paly of X azure and argent", since the number of divisions on
field-only armory is irrelevant and nothing else (style of division,
tincture, etc.) separates my armory from Rolf's.  (FYI, Rolf's device was
registered on the same LoAR as the devices for Stargate and the Steppes,
sooooo ... I'm thinking that a letter of conflict is going to be a little on
the tough side to get.)

In other words, I'm back to the drawing board.

So my idea was to have the vertical stripes that the modern mind so easily
associates with the Vikings, partially because Viking-Age Scandinavia has no
heraldry per se, and partially because I'd be registering a pattern easy to
draw and to weave into fabric, which would likely be how I'd display my
arms, instead of on the later period honor shield.

So, I rambled all that to posit this query:  Whatcha think of "Paly vert and
argent" instead?  I think it's clear, but I thought that of "Paly azure and
argent" too and I was wrong.

Comments, suggestions ... I'm open for business.

Snorri the Recently Frustrated but Never Deterred