[ANSTHRLD] request for advice

Brent Ryder borekvv at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 22 13:26:31 PDT 2004

>I have been trying to encourage some friends to
>register their names and devices, which seemed like a
>good idea at the time, but has had the unfortunate
>side effect of their asking me for advice on those
>topics. I know just enough heraldy to get me into
>trouble <grin>, but not quite enough to give sound
>advice on whether or not something is likely to pass.

Occupational Hazard for heralds and anyone who even in passing helps with
heraldry ;)

>Could one of you kind souls help us with a specific
>device? If that's not an appropriate topic for this
>list, maybe someone would be willing to help me
>off-list?

There is no better place in Ansteorra for such questions :)

>The device is (in my feeble attempt at heraldese):
>Sable, a lion stantant barry of 12, argent and azure.
>It's for a friend with a German persona, and from what
>we can tell, barry charges were not uncommon in German
>heraldry. We'd just like to have a very general idea
>of whether or not it's likely to pass before
>submitting it. I can send along a .bmp if it would
>helpful.

'Sable, a lion statant barry of twelve argent and azure'

I found one entry that was close to this, but no conflicts off hand.

The coloring reminds me of Bavaria's device, but that is barry bendy I
believe. German in any case. The only point I am not sure about is the 'of
12' part which would be very thin bars on a statant creature.

Borek