[ANSTHRLD] Documentation Request - Elizabeta di Firenze della Rosa

kobrien at texas.net kobrien at texas.net
Wed Mar 31 14:27:25 PST 2004

> OK, now I have something more definitive. Below is the docs I got from St
> Gabriels. let me know if anything needs changing so I can finish out the
> forms and get them printed for the submitter
>
> Thanks
>
> Borek
>

> Elizabeta	From the Academy of St. Gabriel,
> http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/arval/venice14/venice14given.html, Page 4 of
> 4, Women’s Given name
>
> di Firenze	From the Academy of St. Gabriel,
> http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/arval/venice14/venice14sur.html, Page 2 of 6,
> ‘da Firenze’ Locative meaning ‘from Florence’

<di> and <da> are different and are not interchangable.

The standard formats are:

      <di [father's given name (nominative case)]>

      <da [placename (nominative case)]>

So, <da Firenze> is correct where <di Firenze> is not.

> della Rosa	Descriptive byname, ‘of the Roses’

I'm not sure if this really is a descriptive or a general toponymic (referring
to a place with lots of roses) or what.  Maybe Maridonna knows.

The Tratte (http://www.stg.brown.edu/projects/tratte/doc/SURNAM1.html) lists
<DELLAROSA> as a surname.  Since they standardized the data (removed spaces,
made all letters uppercase) as it was entered, <della Rosa> is the most likely
original form of this surname.

A larger issue is whether anyone knows whether an Italian name formed

     [given name] [locative byname referring to a town] della Rosa

is plausible or not.  Do we know of any parallel examples?  Something like

     [given name] di [father's given name] della Rosa

would probably be unremarkable.  (Maridonna, do you know?)  The question arises
because of the locative byname in the middle.

If <della Rosa> is viewed as an inherited surname, a construction like:

     Elizabeta della Rosa da Firenze

might be supportable.  But I'm away from my books and home computer at the
moment and so can't check easily.

Mari