[ANSTHRLD] AAA submission report - finally.

Phocas of Bordermarch Phocas at bordermarch.org
Tue Oct 26 15:16:43 PDT 2004

Greetings unto the Heralds at Ansteorra,

  I've been looking to see what's up with my name and device submission and
found this referenced several times in a heralds list.  When I did the
consult with the herald at AAA, they said since "Phocas" was a Saints name
and listed on official Catholic Church websites that it would not be any
problem or much work for them to do the documentation.
=================Clip from Heraldry email ===============

Problem submissions - need to be corrected before being forwarded
42. Phocas of Bordermarch - needs documentation on given name. Jayme, this
was your consult. What's up? - new name and device

I notice a reference to a roman emp. named Phocas, but I relate more to the
Saints.  Either one should not be a problem as a reference to get my name
passed.
 I paid the fees at the Heralds Consult table at AAA, since part to the
extra fees charged was for THEM to do the documentation, which doesn't seem
to be getting done.  If there is anything I can do further to help this
along,
please let me know at:   Phocas at bordermarch.org

Below are references and links to websites to help Jayme or whom ever to
finish this.

 Thank you for what attention or direction you can give this.

In Service to Our Kingdom,
   Barony Bordermarch and the Dream!
Lord Phocas of Bordermarch    (mka:Cameron Crane)

>From the Catholic Site:

http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintp22.htm

PHOCAS the Gardener

Memorial ................23 July
Profile
Innkeeper. Gardener. Martyr. Used surplus crops to feed the poor. Even cared
for the soldiers sent to execute him for being a Christian to the point of
feeding and sheltering them, and digging his own grave.
Died ............beheaded c.303

Patronage
agricultural workers, boatmen, farm workers, farmers, field hands,
gardeners, husbandmen, mariners, market-gardeners, sailors, watermen

=============================

>From Catholic.org:
http://www.catholic.org/printer_friendly.php?id=775&section=Saints+%26+Angel

Several listing for Saints named Phocas:
St. Phocas             Feastday: September 22

St. Phocas was a gardener from Sinope, Paphlagonia, on the Black Sea;
performed his duties with care and purpose; gave food and lodging to any to
any stranger in need; lived as an anchorite pursuing prayer and
contemplation; suffered martyrdom for being a Christian; beheaded by
soldiers who were given orders to look for Phocas in order to try him for
his faith; inadvertently, the soldiers stayed at Phocas when they asked him
for a place to sleep; when they told Phocas their mission and asked his
whereabouts, he prepared himself for death by digging his own grave; in the
morning, he admitted to the soldiers that he himself was Phocas and calmly
faced his death. Gardener by trade, Phocas led a life of simplicity, oneness
with nature, and a purity recalling God's creation of the first human
gardeners, Adam and Eve. His feast day is September 22.

.
St. Phocas the Gardener           Feastday: July 23
303

Martyred Christian gardener who lived at Sinope, in Paphiagonia, on the
Black Sea and was put to death during the persecutions launched by Emperor
Diocletian. Phocas is sometimes confused with Phocas of Antioch, although
there is no doubt about the historical act of his martyrdom. According to
tradition, he gave welcome to the Roman soldiers sent to find and execute
him and, as they did not know who he was, he agreed to take them to the
Phocas whom they sought. After fixing them food and allowing them to sleep
in his house, he went out and dug his grave, using the rest of the night to
prepare his soul. In the morning he led them to his prepared grave and
informed them of his identity. When they were aghast and hesitated to slay
him, he encouraged them to complete their task and behead him. He is
especially venerated in the East and was long considered a patron saint for
sailors.
St. Phocas              Feastday: July 14
117

Martyred bishop of Sinope, a diocese on the Black Sea. He was martyred
during the reign of Emperor Trajan.

=============================

And from Free Dictionary:
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/phocas

Phocas was a non-commissioned officer in the Roman army The Roman Army
refers to the collection of soldiers and other military forces which served
the Roman Republic, and the Roman Empire. It is a large part of why Rome
controlled most of the land around the Mediterranean Sea, including parts of
Britain and Asia Minor at the Empire's height. It started as a citizen army,
but became the world's first professional one.
 when he seized power, and was welcomed at first by many because he lowered
taxes, which had been high during the reign of Maurice. But he also faced
great opposition and was regarded by many as a usurper. He responded with
extreme cruelty, allegedly killing thousands in an effort to keep the people
in line.
Heraclius arrives by ship from Africa at Constantinople, otherthrows
Byzantine Emperor Phocas and becomes Emperor.
....and so on and so forth....:)