[ANSTHRLD] Request for information re arms and award of arms

Ron Knight rknight at kumc.edu
Tue Apr 19 05:56:30 PDT 2005

Greetings from Modar!

I must say that the good gentles you mentioned seem
to be misinformed.  Anyone in the SCA may display
their heraldry whether they have an AoA or not
(or whether they have any award of any kind or not).

Now some folks will state that what you have is a
heraldic device until you get an AoA, then that
device is referred to as your coat-of-arms, but
that's just a matter of personal convention.
Whether you call it your device or your arms,
you are still allowed to display it, even if you do
not have an award of arms.

I might suggest that you have them look at the article
located at:
http://www2.kumc.edu/itc/staff/rknight/Myths.htm
Have them go to item #33.

Now, on the topic of favors....these are personal
signifiers from individuals.  Except by any local custom,
there is no requirement that a fighter bear a favor.
http://www2.kumc.edu/itc/staff/rknight/favors.htm

Now, as I am not of your kingdom, there might be
some item referred to as favors in your area that
it has been customary for fighters to bear.  If so,
then I suggest that you check with the local
Knights Marshal as well as local Herald to see
what the current conventions are.

As to changes in the heraldic community...there certainly
has been changes and improvements over the last
10 years.  I would recommend the following links
to help get you started in getting familiar with the
current terminology, rules, etc.

http://www.sca.org/heraldry/coagloss.html

http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/admin.html

http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/rfs.html

http://www2.kumc.edu/itc/staff/rknight/heraldry.htm

I hope this has been of some assistance to you.

In Service to Crown, Kingdom and Society,

Modar Neznanich
http://www2.kumc.edu/itc/staff/rknight/Modar.htm

>>> caius_fabius at hotmail.com 04/18/05 4:53 PM >>>
Greetings and salutations, with all proper respects

I have been away from Heraldry for several (MANY (more than 10)) years.
understand there have been some important changes in SCA Heraldry
consultation, conflicts resolution and research, acceptable name
sources and
so on.  Is there a quick and dirty list somewhere?

I was told at a recent fighter practise that the reason none of the
local
fighters were working of designing their arms was that they couldn't
register or wear them until they got an AoA, and they were afraid
people
with AoA's would steal their ideas.  I thought I would check before
trying
to answer that one, I have been away a long time......  (I was also
told
that SCA fighters no longer needed "favors" unless they were fighting
in
"Crown" tourney...!!!!!!!)

Thank you for any relevant answers.

Caius Fabius