[ANSTHRLD] Heraldic Faux Pas

Jann Mays hlgabrielle at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 7 19:21:50 PDT 2005

Charles,
That's just Daniel's way.  He just adds to those little Heraldic Faux Pas with
a slight air of sarcasm, which is usually fun, you just gotta take it the right
way. :)  It's just that he's seen soooo much bad heraldry as I'm sure many of
us have. :D

HL Gabrielle
Steppes

--- tmcd at panix.com wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Charles Ó Floinn <Tons at raf662bravo.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I would say that the crossed trumpets should only go onto something
> > > only if it is used for heraldic purposes.
>
> Which wasn't one of the two choices, of course.
>
> > > For a tabard for an SCA branch, the best thing is to have the branch's
> > > arms front, back, and sleeves.
> > >
> > > The concept of a "heralds' badge" is out of period, so I like to
> > > discourage it.  If you want a generic tabard, though, you could indeed
> > > put the crossed trumpets front, back, and sleeves.
> > >
> > > Please do NOT mix and match.  All period heralds' tabards and surcoats
> > > I've seen have the same design on each part.  And please do not do
> > > quartering: that would mean that you're the herald of the heir of the
> > > shire and the College of Arms, and I do *not* want to visualize THAT.
> >
> > I am no longer making the heraldic tabard for my shire.
>
> Um, did I offend you?
>
> I didn't mean to imply that having a crossed-trumpets tabard was bad.
> While I would encourage the branch arms on the branch's own tabard, I
> can see uses for the crossed trumpets.
> - If the group's arms are too difficult to sew.  *grin*
> - If you want a tabard that you can take to other groups' events.  In
>   an ideal world, they'd have enough of their branch tabards to fit
>   all their field / camp heralds -- but that ideal is rarely achieved.
>   Or, alternately, you can choose not to wear any tabard (if you yell
>   something official at people, they can figure out you're a herald.)
>   But having a crossed trumpets tabard gives something to wear.
>
> Danyell de Lyncoln
> --
> Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com

“Of course I know how to work it,” said Lupin, waving his hand impatiently, “I helped write it.  I’m ‘Mooney’ – that was my friends’ nickname for me.” (p.254)... “... And that’s how we came to write the Marauder’s Map, and sign it with our nicknames.  Sirius is ‘Padfoot.’  Peter is ‘Wormtail.’  James was ‘Prongs.’ ”  (p. 260)  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.  J.K. Rowling.  Bloomsbury Publishing, London (1999).