[ANSTHRLD] Name and Device check

Dietrich Strobelbart dietrichstrobelbart at myway.com
Mon Dec 5 12:13:09 PST 2005

To the Ansteorran Heralds list,The name I want to verify is "Dietrich Strobelbart".  I have found Dietrich and Strobel and Bart in the Bahlow book and in a German names article on the SCA website. Strobelbart was not in the Bahlow book as a single name.  I know that modern German bynames are often compounded from two or more words (Wassertile, Eikenhorst), but I can't seem to verify whether the compounding practice was used in period.  I did find one in Bahlow that seems to be compounded (Lambrecht).  Would that be enough?  By the way, in Middle High German, Strobel translates to "bushy" and Bart translates to "beard", so Strobelbart should translate to "bushy beard", making this a descriptive byname.  I would welcome any comments on the validity of using this practice for period German bynames.The device I want to check for validity/conflict is: Argent, a pellet fibriated gules and a bordure sable.  Is this a color-on-color violation
(gules fibriation on a sable charge)?  Are there any conflicts?Yours in Service,Dietrich Strobelbartmka Steve Scott281-731-7726 celldietrichstrobelbart at myway.comDie Wahrheit ist heraus dort.