[ANSTHRLD] A question about charges on charges.

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Thu Dec 1 12:50:26 PST 2005

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, [utf-8] Alasdair MacEogan <alasdair at bmhanson.net> wrote:
> Is there any specific rule or precedent (I have looked, but not been
> able to find anything) restricting the types of charges that may be
> charged?  For example I see no practical way to place a charge on a
> fret or an annulet.

_Anglo-Norman Armory II_ shows

p. 454: Argent, a fret gules bezanty (Trossell, William,
        Parliamentary Roll 784)

p. 457: Gules fretty ermine (Eilesford, William; Valoignes, Waresius;
        Valoignes, Waris) -- "ermine" is a charge, but it has the
        appearance of strewn charges

        Gules fretty vair (Horn, John; Lapun, Robert; Tichese, Thomas;
        Ticheseye) -- certainly not a charge, but it is a pattern and
        it is drawn (Humphrey-Smith shows it with the vair following
        the lines of the bends and bends sinister, one vair-bell wide)

p. 459: Argent fretty gules semy-de-lis or (Hemeldene, Lawrence)

p. 460: Or fretty gules naile dargent (Trussel, Sr...)

        Argent fretty gules nailed Or (Trussel, ....; Trussel,
        Richard)

        Argent fretty sable nailed Or (Wake, Hugh)

        -- H-S depicts "nailed" as very small roundels at the
           interstices of the overlaps between bends and bends
           sinister

Overall charges are much more common, of course: labels and charged
cantons.

There's far fewer annulets -- 2 pages instead of 10 for fret/fretty --
so I'm not suprised that he adduces no charged annulets.  Similarly,
no charged mascles.

So I think that strewn charges are period and registerable on charges
that have a central void.  The tertiary charges have to be visible, of
course, so I expect that would be a constraint as usual.

I have no examples of a single charge or few charges on them, but I
suspect (== I would bet a small sum) that ceteris paribus it would be
registered without comment if a not-too-awkward blazon could be
devised, like "charged in chief with a", for example, or "on a mascle
argent four gouts azure in cross".  And, in fact, I see that in
February 2004 this was registered without comment:

  Kevin of Thornbury. Badge (see RETURNS for household name). Per pale
  azure and argent, on an annulet four towers in cross counterchanged.

But I'd like to recommend against charging hollow charges with one or
few tertiaries, unless you find period examples.

Danett de Lincoln
--
"Me, I love the USA; I never miss an episode." -- Paul "Fruitbat" Sleigh
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com