[ANSTHRLD] Device conflict check

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Sun Dec 18 21:15:53 PST 2005

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005, Rex Pixley <donnchad_de_piksle at yahoo.com> wrote:
>   Per pale azure and argent, two unicorns rampant and combatant,
>   counterchanged.

Just a blazoning note: "combattant" (3 Ts) == "rampant" + "respectant".
The second comma isn't needed.  So

   Per pale azure and argent, two unicorns combattant counterchanged.

I think there's a conflict versus Helena Hrolfsdottir (9408E) Per pale
azure and argent, two winged sea-unicorns respectant counterchanged.
You can adduce precedents that adding wings to an unwinged charge is a
CD:
   [a bear vs. a winged bear] There is one CD for removing the wings
   ... [Wilhelm Bär, 02/03, R-Calontir]
I am morally certain (though I don't have a precedent to hand) that a
fish tail is also a CD.  The rulings don't make it explicit, but both
have to be type CDs (what else could they be?).  And all changes to
the type of a charge can give you  only one CD: you can't get two
CDs for the same kind of change to the same charge group.

The only possible salvation would be if a unicorn were X.2
substantially different from a winged sea-unicorn: X.2 clears
regardless of the CD count.  I don't have a precedent either way (I
have too much prep to do before going to Northern Virginia for Xmas,
so I stopped looking in Elsbeth's precedents), but I suspect that,
since they're both unicorn-based monsters, there can be no X.2
difference (just as pine trees get no X.2 difference from rounded
trees or willows).

Denyel Lincoln
--
"Me, I love the USA; I never miss an episode." -- Paul "Fruitbat" Sleigh
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com