[ANSTHRLD] Name info / check please

Star - Ansteorra star at ansteorra.org
Tue Dec 20 11:31:54 PST 2005

Charles,

You have given me a great forum for talking about one of my favorite topics,
so don't take any of this personally.

Charles has shown all of us some of the intricacies of consulting with a
client who seems to want some contradictory things in her name and to be
authentic, which really mixes it all up.

If she wants a name that is from the period when Rome was in Britain.  She
wants ti to be Scottish and she wants it to be around 1100ish.

Well, Rome was in Britain, in an official way at least, prior to 600 CE. The
quick and easy timeline that I found dates the official exit around 410.
http://www.britannia.com/history/time1b.html.  If we can trust Encyclopedia
Britannica, then her requested time period is about 700 years too late.

Bronwen has very graciously provided a Scottish source, (thanks!), but notes
that it is out of the time range that she wants.

So, what does the local branch herald do?  How many of you out there are
faced with this at least once a month at Populace meetings?

Charles did the right thing in asking for help on the Anst-Herald's list.
Now he has to go back and talk to the client about the issues at hand.  The
hardest part of that conversation is staying positive and upbeat about the
obstacles in the way and turning her potential disappointment into a
welcomed learning opportunity.  (I have met Charles and he has a certain
amount of charm that he can call upon for situations like these.)

In the end, she may not care that the dating is out of whack with her
request.

Please encouarge her to visit the websites that Maridonna listed and to read
the doc provided by Bronwen.  I will leave it to the experienced
omonasticians to expound on the differences between Gaelic and Scots Gaelic,
as I noted that some of what Bronwen has is from Irish sources with Irish
locations noted.

The big issue here is that she has a great opportunity to do some learning,
one of the reasons why we have this activity in the first place.  Part of
playing this game is getting a name and device and part of doing that is to
do some research and learning about the time period and place of the chosen
persona/name.  To be a successful herald is not always to be able to doc and
pass the impossible, but to get the client to do some research and learn
something new.

Thanks, Charles, for your hard work and for letting me get on my soapbox a
bit here.

Medb
Star