[ANSTHRLD] CD for Color of Cotises?

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Fri Feb 18 21:11:42 PST 2005

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Jim Trigg <blaise at scadian.net> wrote:
> tmcd at panix.com wrote:
>
> > It says that a secondary charge group is a group of charges directly
> > on the field.  (OK, it doesn't say "directly", but it should: if
> > they're not "directly", they're "tertiary" or perhaps "overall".)
>
> Which actually raises a question that has been getting some
> discussion on the Trimaris COH list -- are overall charges directly
> on the field?

Gah.  I was hoping my weasel-wording on "perhaps" would go unnoticed.

> The answer appears to be "for some purposes"; X.4.b, c, f, and g say
> no, but X.2 and X.4.d, e, and h say yes...

X.2 doesn't say, as I read it: "has no more than two types of charge
directly on the field and has no overall charges" expresses the same
concept regardless.

The CoA Glossary of Terms says "yes, overall charges are directly on
the field".

    Overall Charge. A charge that crosses over both edges of another
    charge to lie on the field on either side. For instance, Or, a
    lion rampant purpure and overall a fess sable has the fess
    starting on the field on one side, crossing over the center of the
    lion, and lying on the field on the other side. An overall charge
    is considered to lie directly on the field, and must have good
    contrast with it. An overall charge can never be the primary
    charge; in addition, there can only be a single group of overall
    charges.

The Layer Limit (RfS VIII.1.c.ii) doesn't work if overall charges are
not directly on the field:

    All charges should be placed either directly on the field or
    entirely on other charges that lie on the field.

But then there's Contrast Requirements (RfS VIII.2.b.i):

    The field must have good contrast with every charge placed
    directly on it and with charges placed overall.

I don't see a place where it matters whether overall charges are
"directly" or not: in each case, the rule says expressly whether it
does or does not apply to overall charges.  The only exception I see
is X.4.b, Addition of Charges on the Field -- *but* if that's read
with X.4.c, Addition of Charges Overall, it becomes clear that the two
rules apply in two different circumstances.

Still, the concept is badly expressed.

Danihel de Lindocollino
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com