[ANSTHRLD] CD for Color of Cotises?

Jim Trigg blaise at scadian.net
Sun Feb 20 11:36:38 PST 2005

tmcd at panix.com wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Jim Trigg <blaise at scadian.net> wrote:
>
>>tmcd at panix.com wrote:
>>
>>>It says that a secondary charge group is a group of charges directly
>>>on the field.  (OK, it doesn't say "directly", but it should: if
>>>they're not "directly", they're "tertiary" or perhaps "overall".)
>>
>>Which actually raises a question that has been getting some
>>discussion on the Trimaris COH list -- are overall charges directly
>>on the field?
>
> Gah.  I was hoping my weasel-wording on "perhaps" would go unnoticed.
>
>>The answer appears to be "for some purposes"; X.4.b, c, f, and g say
>>no, but X.2 and X.4.d, e, and h say yes...
>
> I don't see a place where it matters whether overall charges are
> "directly" or not: in each case, the rule says expressly whether it
> does or does not apply to overall charges.  The only exception I see
> is X.4.b, Addition of Charges on the Field -- *but* if that's read
> with X.4.c, Addition of Charges Overall, it becomes clear that the two
> rules apply in two different circumstances.

Compare "Sable, three fleurs-de-lys Or and overall a bend argent" with
"Sable, three fleurs-de-lys Or and a bordure argent".  Since X.4.e
applies to both, there is only one CD for changing the type.  Or are
there two CDs, one by X.4.b for removing the bordure and one by X.4.c
for adding the bend?

Blaise
--
Jim Trigg, Lord High Everything Else  O-      /"\
SKA Blaise de Cormeilles                      \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN

"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up
because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't
speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the Catholics, and I
didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and
by that time no one was left to speak up." -- Martin Niemoller

"To announce that we are to stand by the president right or wrong is not
only unpatriotic and servile, but it's morally treasonable to the
American public.  Nothing but the truth should be spoken about him or
any one else.  But it is even more important to tell the truth, pleasant
or unpleasant, about him than about any one else." -- Theodore Roosevelt

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin