[ANSTHRLD] Conflict check help

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Sun Jun 19 20:35:46 PDT 2005

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005, Rhonda and Stephen Hays <housedragonstar at earthlink.net> wrote:
>  Need help with conflict check and blazon.  I got the Sable, a/three
> (insert sword with gauntlet), Or/argent.  Just need the middle part.
>
>  Field:  Black
>
>  Charge: a sword being held by a gauntlet (no arm showing), either
> one or a group of 3 (2 and 1), business end(s) up.
>
>  Charge is either silver or gold, depending on what stands a better
> chance of passing.
> Oh, the sword is palewise...sorry.

A "sword proper" is argent hilted Or (treated as argent), so you might
consider that.

There are one to four charges in your design: 1 gauntlet +
1 to 3 sword(s).

What does the gauntlet look like?  Right gauntlet or left?  Palm/inner
wrist side showing, back side showing, or side view (palm up or down)?
Clenched or not?  (A hand doesn't have to be cletched to hold
something.  Consider holding a basketball.  You see the hand palm-side
up in a side view, with the basketball resting atop).  What part of
the sword(s) is it holding (the hilt is natural but not necessary)?

What are the relative visual weights of the gauntlet and the sword(s)?
Does the gauntlet look as big as any sword, or is it more naturalistic
and more like the size of the hilt?

"Two and one" are arranged like this (please use a fixed-width font to
view this):

|     |
+     +

    +

You cannot have one gauntlet holding three swords arranged like that
-- the hilts are in three different places.  Maybe you mean

\|/
  *

(where the three swords are in a V arrangement with overlapping
hilts)?  Or maybe

  \|/
   *
  /|\
x + x

(a sheaf of three swords, presumably being held in the middle where
they overlap)?  But in neither case are they all palewise.

Daniel de Lindonio
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com