[ANSTHRLD] of interest perhaps

nweders@mail.utexas.edu nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Nov 22 15:15:05 PST 2005

I was doing some on-line research and found this.  If anyone can get me a
picture please let me know.

Thanks,

Clare

Tomb of Sir William Goring, d.1553, and his wife Elizabeth, d.1558.

It is made of Purbeck marble and is claimed to be unique as the only one in
England showing a lady in a heraldic tabard, 'an essentially male garment'.
The figures of Sir William and of one child, Anne, are missing. Details of
their children and grandchildren and their coats of arms are included.

After the death of Sir William his widow retired to a convent at Liege and
when she died the estate passed to her Biddulph relations.