[ANSTHRLD] Really Old Armory

Mike C. Baker / Kihe Blackeagle kihebard at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 24 21:02:13 PST 2005

As original consulting herald on several of these, I do want to comment upon
at least one directly:

> ?In compass star?:
> Katherine Marie Yvonne Jetté|8008X|d|Vert, a lightning flash fesswise
> throughout Or between in pale a horse's head couped argent and in compass
> star a bezant between eight billets Or.||ARRANGEMENT-IN
> ANNULO:8:or:second|BILLET AND
> DELF:8:or:second|FIELD:vert|HEAD-BEAST,HORSE:1:argent:second|LIGHTNING
> FLASHES:1:or:spna|ROUNDEL:1:or:pl:second:unc|VT

What alternative do we currently have for <item> between <items "radiating"
but not conjoined to>, when there is not an obvious orientation for the
radiants AND a need to imply separation of the radiants from the centroid?

Frex, with the infamous "coneys, heads to center and ears conjoined", there
is an obvious center of radiation.  With the billets radiating from the
roundel, four of which (corresponding to the cardinal points of a compass)
were elongated, we found at the time that there was a question of how to
describe the separation.  As I currently recall (normal caveats as to
fallible memory, and I am separated from parts of my paper files on this
submission by over 200 miles), we also considered variations upon "eight
billets radiating from [but not conjoined to] a bezant", and suggested that
the arrangement be described as a "Jett{e'} star" afterward -- and the
consensus at the time was that *that* would have either strongly implied
that the billets be conjoined to (touching) the bezant or be unacceptable
for whatever reasons then appertained.

(I have ALWAYS had a soft spot in my heart for this device - Katherine
[Cathie Jett] presented a very nice rendering to begin with, was very
receptive to the few suggestions we could make, and made use of the results
in various later displays *appropriately*.  Note that this was also
submitted on the ancient alternate form "for women only", and the rendition
on the diamond-shape was rather distinctive in itself.)

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Mike C. Baker
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com  OR MCBaker216 at cs.com
   Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen