[ANSTHRLD] conflict check please

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Wed Oct 5 14:53:24 PDT 2005

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Hedwig Seiffensider <lochherald at gmail.com> wrote:
>  *Per bend azure and gules, in sinister chief a cat sejant guardant Or*
>
> So, far I've not found anything

If you want to learn more about conflict checking, you could mention
what categories and such that you looked at.

Spoiler space ...

How I did it, too tersely expressed (ask me if you want anything
expanded):

"Per bend azure and gules" is not *incredibly* common (36 items), so I
looked first under it.

If there were two or more charges and neither was catlike, then there
are CD for change of type of all charges in a group + CD for number;
or, if the added charge was a secondary charge, CD for type of primary
+ CD for addition/removal of secondary.  Either way, 2 CDs, so I could
skip to the next.

The remainder:

    Edmund Cavendish
    Per bend azure and gules, a cross formy Or.
        -- RfS X.2, substantial difference in type
           (alternately, CD for type + CD for location on the field)

    Arend Adler
    Per bend azure and gules, a portative organ argent.
        -- same concept

    Katrina von dem Schwarzwald
    Per bend azure and gules, in bend sinister a domestic cat sejant
    affronty and on a bend argent, three hearts palewise gules.
        -- CD for addition of the bend + CD for putting charges on a
           bend.  Also CD for change of position of the cat + CD for
           change of tincture of the cat.

    Rodrigo de Vargas
    Per bend azure and gules, in pale three lions dormant Or.
        -- CD for change of number + CD for change of posture

Nothing else.  Therefore, any other possible conflict has at least one
CD for the field tincture.  That makes it easier to scan: henceforth,
I only have to find one CD from anything and I can go to the next.

Note: there are other ways to clear the above conflicts.  Most of them
are also clear by X.2, because they fit the necessary preconditions
and have substantial change of type.  However, that requires more
thought: I have to check for no more than two types of charge directly
on the field and no overall charges.  Personally, in this case I found
it faster to count to two ("CD for number") and then scan for anything
catlike ("CD for type").  The key for bulk conflict checking is to
reject conflicts quickly and accurately.

Note: strewn charges (semy of whatever) count as a charge group.
I think there was one in this set and several in the next.  Since
that's addition of a charge group, I handled it silently above and
below.

Unfortunately for me, there's only one other thing that can be checked
-- the cat.  And there's LOTS of cats in the SCA.  "Guardant" I
ignore, because head position on a beast is not a CD.  So its
important attributes are
- one
- cat
- sejant
- Or
- in sinister chief

Checking the on-line Ordinary, I see
        Beast - Cat - 1 - Or - Couchant
        Beast - Cat - 1 - Or - Passant
        Beast - Cat - 1 - Or - Rampant
        Beast - Cat - 1 - Or - Sejant
        Beast - Cat - <other tinctures>
        Beast - Cat - <other numbers>
so everything but the location (in sinister chief) get filtered first:
if any of them differ from your proposal, there's a CD for number,
type, posture, or tincture, depending.
        Beast - Cat - 1 - Or - Sejant
is the only category I open.  59 items -- sigh.

Looks like number is a quick eliminator now too.  The easiest words
for me to scan for are "on", "within", "between", and "and".
"Contourny" and "to sinister" are in some of these items too, and
they're the necessary second CD too (posture).

    Mooneschadowe, Shire of
    (Fieldless) A lion-dragon statant contourny Or.
        -- 1 CD for the field (as with all of these) +
           1 CD for change of type (half the charge changed)
        Not sure what this is doing under "sejant".
        No CD for location on the field: a fieldless badge has no
        location.

    Leonessa des Belles Fleures
    Azure, a winged lion sejant Or, beneath the forepaws two garden
    roses argent, stalked and leaved proper.
        -- 1 CD for the field + 1 CD for adding wings +
           1 CD for position on the field.
        Note: I don't know whether the roses are large enough to be
        worth a CD.  Another key to fast conflict-checking is going
        for the easy CDs.

    Ariel of Glastonbury Tor
    Gules, a winged lion sejant affronty Or.
        -- same as Leonessa + 1 CD for posture (affronty)

    Kathleen MacChluarain the Pure
    Per chevron embattled azure and vert, a lion sejant Or langued
    gules orbed sable.
        -- 1 CD for the field + 1 CD for the position on the field.
        Armed, langued, orbed: not CDs (minor artistic details)

    Michael Vladimir Gerewolf
    Per pale ermine and counter-ermine, a three-headed cheetah sejant
    affronty, outer heads addorsed, Or.
        -- *twitch*
           same as Kathleen: field + position

I see nothing else, so it looks clear to me.  But I'm somewhat rusty.

Dannet de Lincoln
--
"Me, I love the USA; I never miss an episode." -- Paul "Fruitbat" Sleigh
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com