[ANSTHRLD] conflict check please

Hedwig Seiffensider lochherald at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 17:42:15 PDT 2005

Thank you so much. I feel much more confident now as what you just told me
is exactly what I did! Yeah...I'm not as backward and behind as I've been
thinking I was. Thank you thank you thank you!
 Hedwig
(walks off standing taller very gratefully!)

 On 10/5/05, tmcd at panix.com <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Hedwig Seiffensider <lochherald at gmail.com> wrote:
> > *Per bend azure and gules, in sinister chief a cat sejant guardant Or*
> >
> > So, far I've not found anything
>
> If you want to learn more about conflict checking, you could mention
> what categories and such that you looked at.
>

> Spoiler space ...
>

> How I did it, too tersely expressed (ask me if you want anything
> expanded):
>
> "Per bend azure and gules" is not *incredibly* common (36 items), so I
> looked first under it.
>
> If there were two or more charges and neither was catlike, then there
> are CD for change of type of all charges in a group + CD for number;
> or, if the added charge was a secondary charge, CD for type of primary
> + CD for addition/removal of secondary. Either way, 2 CDs, so I could
> skip to the next.
>
> The remainder:
>
> Edmund Cavendish
> Per bend azure and gules, a cross formy Or.
> -- RfS X.2, substantial difference in type
> (alternately, CD for type + CD for location on the field)
>
> Arend Adler
> Per bend azure and gules, a portative organ argent.
> -- same concept
>
> Katrina von dem Schwarzwald
> Per bend azure and gules, in bend sinister a domestic cat sejant
> affronty and on a bend argent, three hearts palewise gules.
> -- CD for addition of the bend + CD for putting charges on a
> bend. Also CD for change of position of the cat + CD for
> change of tincture of the cat.
>
> Rodrigo de Vargas
> Per bend azure and gules, in pale three lions dormant Or.
> -- CD for change of number + CD for change of posture
>
> Nothing else. Therefore, any other possible conflict has at least one
> CD for the field tincture. That makes it easier to scan: henceforth,
> I only have to find one CD from anything and I can go to the next.
>
> Note: there are other ways to clear the above conflicts. Most of them
> are also clear by X.2, because they fit the necessary preconditions
> and have substantial change of type. However, that requires more
> thought: I have to check for no more than two types of charge directly
> on the field and no overall charges. Personally, in this case I found
> it faster to count to two ("CD for number") and then scan for anything
> catlike ("CD for type"). The key for bulk conflict checking is to
> reject conflicts quickly and accurately.
>
> Note: strewn charges (semy of whatever) count as a charge group.
> I think there was one in this set and several in the next. Since
> that's addition of a charge group, I handled it silently above and
> below.
>

> Unfortunately for me, there's only one other thing that can be checked
> -- the cat. And there's LOTS of cats in the SCA. "Guardant" I
> ignore, because head position on a beast is not a CD. So its
> important attributes are
> - one
> [...]

In Service to (and pursuit of) "The Dream",

Hedwig Seiffender

motto:
"Everyone deserves a clear path to the bathroom"