[ANSTHRLD] Definitions of ....

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Fri Oct 28 13:15:51 PDT 2005

Estrill wrote:
> >> Chamfron
> >Horse-armor. (Specifically the bit for the head.)
>
> Now, for humans, for the purposes of the Beastiary -- if a
> bit of armor is
> shown it's treated as if that body part was actually inside it for
> categorization. Would the same hold true for horse armor?

I wouldn't think so; human armor (in heraldry anyway) tends to completely
enclose the body. A chamfron doesn't. I wouldn't see anyone confusing a
chamfron and a horse's head wearing a chamfron. I haven't done a precedence
search, but I'd be willing to bet there's at least a CD between the two.
(Now watch Daniel prove me wrong...)

> >> Stocks
> >Could be stocks like for imprisonment, or could be a tree-trunk.
>
> Per pale Or and argent, a chevron azure between three stocks
> couped sable
> all within a bordure azure. Stephan Blakstok - device - 1995
>
> So I'm guessing tree-trunks.

Just looked it up -- definitely tree trunks.

-Emma