[ANSTHRLD] Scarpe was: charge: vol

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Mon Oct 3 11:59:49 PDT 2005

[a vol]
>>Two wings conjoined in lure with tips upward.

Actually, a "pair of wings", and "conjoined in lure" cannot be used
with "tips upward".  The Pict Dict (2nd ed) notes, s.v. Wing,

    More often, however, wings are found in pairs, with a dexter and a
    sinister wing conjoined.  (The difference is subtly blazoned: two
    separate, dester wings would be blazoned "two wings", while a
    dexter wing and a sinister wing conjoined would be "a pair of
    wings".)  This usage also dates from c. 1290.

    A pair of wings conjoined may also be blazoned a "vol"; the are by
    default displayed [801].  If the conjoined wings are displayed,
    tips inverted, they are known as "wings conjoined in lure" [802].

(A lure looks rather like a tassel.  "A lure is not the same charge as
a 'vol', 'wings conjoined', or 'wings conjoined in lure', ...")

>> A single wing is called a semi-vol.

In the SCA a single wing is called only "a wing".  Parker has the
term "Demi-vol", but he has a lot of terms rarely or never used in
real-world blazon, and we don't use this term.

> Now what is a scarpe?

    Scarpe - see bend.

    Bend - ... The bend sinister is the mirror image of the bend,
    running from sinister chief to dexter base [54].  Its diminutives
    may be called "bendlets sinister" or "scarpes". ...

The College of Arms does not register single diminutives, so in the
SCA you can't have "a scarpe" -- you can only have two or more
scarpes.

Danel Lincoln
--
"Me, I love the USA; I never miss an episode." -- Paul "Fruitbat" Sleigh
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com