[ANSTHRLD] Issues with January's submissions...

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Fri Dec 29 20:30:28 PST 2006

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006, Jacquie Ziegler <shauna at bresnan.net> wrote:
> the MNA (Mundane Name Allowance) is for those submitters who 'want
> what they want' and cannot document it any other way.

It's best to go to Teh Rules for the exact wording.  The section in
the Rules for Submission is RfS II.4, Legal Names:

    4.  Legal Names - Elements of the submitter's legal name may be
     used as the corresponding part of a Society name, if such
     elements are not excessively obtrusive and do not violate other
     sections of these rules.

     This allows individuals to register elements of their legal name
     that cannot be documented from period sources.  The allowance is
     only made for the actual legal name, not any variants.  Someone
     whose legal given name is "Ruby" may register "Ruby" as a Society
     given name, but not "Rubie", "Rubyat", or "Rube".  Corresponding
     elements are defined by their type, not solely their position in
     the name.  This means a person with the legal name "Andrew
     Jackson" could use "Jackson" as a surname in his Society name in
     any position where a surname is appropriate, such as "Raymond
     Jackson Turner" or "Raymond Jackson of London", not just as his
     last name element.

(That is, it's Legal Names, not Mundane Name.  I think Mari nic Bryan
tends to get torqued when you call it "Allowance", but I think that's
a fair word to use, due to "that cannot be documented from period
sources": it provides a grace to people who cannot bear to use a
period name.)

Part II, Compatible Name Content, is

1.   Documented Names
2.   Constructed Names (NOTE: "in a period manner" is a requirement)
3.   Invented Names (NOTE: "if they follow the rules for name
     formation from a linguistic tradition compatible with the domain
     of the Society and the name elements used" is a requirement)
4.   Legal Namse
5.   Registered Names

As with clearing armory conflict, if an item qualifies under *any*
category, it is deemed "compatible".

For example, if you have questionable documentation AND you happen to
have a photocopy or other attestation of their ID (per the September
2003 LoAR Cover Letter via <http://sca.org/heraldry/loar/2003/09/>),
it might be worthwhile to put both in the documentation block, in the
hope that if one fails, the other might succeed.  Mind you, both might
fail: the period docs might not support it AND it might be
"excessively obtrusive" or violate other rules when considered as a
legal name.  But it won't decrease the chances.

That can be a general documentation principle: if one path isn't a
slam dunk, try multiple paths.

(The February 2003 LoAR Cover Letter
(<http://sca.org/heraldry/loar/2003/02/>) also discusses Legal Name
issues.  It rules that using non-period elements of a legal name is
one "weirdness".  Also, the language of a non-period Legal Name
element is traditionally ignored except when it is excessively
obtrusive when combined with the other elements: e.g. Ciarmhac
Sayenga, Margaret Singh, Vaska McCormick.)

Dankyn Lincoln
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com