[ANSTHRLD] Opinion on a source for a name

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Sat Feb 11 00:02:07 PST 2006

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006, Steve K. Rourke <steverourke at charter.net> wrote:
> I have a client who is wanting to document the byname von Dahl.

Full info, please: what full name?  what place, culture, language,
time period?  Why do they want "von Dahl": they believe it was a place
where they want to put their persona, or do they want the sound, or
what?

Rather than document "von Dahl", it may be easier to document the
place-name Dahl, and then construct "von Dahl" / "van Dahl" -- there's
a plethora of cases in German (von) and Dutch (van) + location.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dahl> is a disambiguation page pointing
to 11 places named Dahl, though only the first has an actual page.
That first hit suggests that Dael was a mediaeval spelling.

A cursory Google search also found one that appeared to be in
Luxembourg.  The best my world atlas has is Dahlem in West Germany and
West Berlin, and Dahlen in East Germany [all sic].

Daniel de Lincolia
--
"Me, I love the USA; I never miss an episode." -- Paul "Fruitbat" Sleigh
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com