[ANSTHRLD] Name Documentation needed

Maridonna maridonna at maridonna.com
Fri Feb 3 04:36:44 PST 2006

Suren Unegen wrote:
> Reynard would be the first name of a male living in france. I am still
> digging for it in the name arcive to see if it appears there.
> Fox

There are several names that are similar to <Reynard>. Here are two:
<Renart le plédéeur>
<Renaut le Picart>
found in An Index to the Given Names in the 1292 Census of Paris
http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/paris.html

Oh.  I found the name in Dauzat Noms et Prenoms, s.n. Renart,
p.515-16.  Someone please double check my translation.  Reynard
seems to be a variant spelling. In the Renaissance it was a form of
the Latin Raginardus.(?) I think it also says that it from the
Germanic baptismal name Ragin-hard (ragin = counsel, hard = hard or
strong).

As an *English* name Reynard is in Withycombe,s.n. Reynard which
says was introduced into England by the Normans but never became
common.
--
Andrea / Maridonna
Why buy while they die? Adopt a rescue or shelter pet today.