[ANSTHRLD] Questions about a tierce

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Sun Feb 26 11:19:53 PST 2006

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Donnchahd Beag mac Griogair
<donnchadh at cornelius.norman.ok.us> wrote:
> She is also looking at doing a badge as well (especially if she goes
> with ermine for the tierce), of Vert, a lily argent slipped and
> leaved Or.

Did you explain that, while that style is certainly registerable,
period badges were usually fieldless?  And there's the "fieldless
bribe" too.

> I thought for sure that would be taken, but when I checked I could
> only find one device that even came close:
>
> Minowara Kiritsubo
> Vert, a calla lily blossom proper within a bordure Or.
> for Eleanor Aison of Devon
>
> I'm not sure if there would be a CD between a calla lily blossom
> proper and a lily argent slipped and leaved Or.  One for color
> maybe?  I'm not sure what the proper color for a calla lily
> blossom is.

Judging by my Google Images search for "calla lily", there shouldn't
be a proper defined for it: one page alone shows white, purple, red,
yellow shading into red, rose, and faint violet.

I've looked at Minowara Kiritsubo's badge form, and the calla lily
blossom is white with a yellow, er, whatever that thingy is in the
center, the pistil or stamen or stigma or whatever.
<http://www.onlinewholesaleflowers.com/calla.jpg> is pretty close,
except that Kiritsubo's is rotated slightly to be face on (that is,
the picture is slightly trian aspect) and Kiritsubo's doesn't have the
foliage.  If someone could name that yellow reproductive organ in the
middle for me, I'd appreciate it.  (No, not "Bob", though that's an
oddly appropriate term at times in the context of sexual organs.
I mean pistil or stamen or stigma or whatever.)

... OK, I did a search of LoARs and found a definite statement (10/95
LoAR):

  Leonora of Monadh.  Name and device.  Vert, three lilies and a bordure Or.
     Monadh is the registered name of her branch.
          Versus Minowara Kiritsubo, Vert, a calla lily blossom proper
     within a bordure Or, there are CDs for the number of primary
     charges and for their tincture; a calla lily blossom proper is
     argent, stamened Or.

I still suspect it's actually a pistil, but you know what it means.

Slipping and leaving is not a CD, even when it's big and visually
prominent.  (You'd pretty much have to shrink the blossom to be tiny
to get a CD -- by virtue of it changing from "a lily slipped and
leaved" to "a lily plant", which is to say, no longer a flower.)  The
yellow sexy thingy in the center of Kiritsubo's is too small for
difference, I'd say.

So only 1 CD for the bordure -- conflict.

Dannet de Lyncoln
--
"Me, I love the USA; I never miss an episode." -- Paul "Fruitbat" Sleigh
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com