[ANSTHRLD] Book help

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 10 17:48:32 PDT 2006

> > > Hi I'm purchasing naming and heraldic  books for the Canton
> > > of Westgate  it was on of the things I promised to do as
> > > the Herald before I became Solstice. I have good Idea of
> > > what to buy but I have $150.00  to spend and I want to
> > > spend it wisely . I have looked at the no photocopy list
> > > online also. I would  like some suggestion from some
> > > you too . Thanks Lady Valeria Marcella
> > > de' Martinez  Solstice
>
> I'd go to Amazon Books and do some price shopping.  Reaney is
> there for about 25.00 and I also found Black's Surnames of
> Scotland.  McLysaght's Surnames of Ireland is there for about
> 20.00.  Fucilla is available for about 20.00  used.
>
> Also make sure you have a nice illustrated heraldry book.
>
> Clare
>
> >Reaney and Wilson.  Coupled with 'Feminine Given Names in A
> dictionary
> >of English Surnames', by Talan Gwynek you have sources for *English*
> >masculine and feminine given names and place-names.
> >
> >My 2 cents.
> >--
> >Andrea / Maridonna

Zwei pfennig, give or take, here from Amra:  for English locatives, I am
particularly fond of Ekwall, or barring that, Bardsley (but know that
that either can be a bit pricey). There are other more recent resources
for Old Norse, but a copy of Geirr-Bassi is still a solid place to start
(just encourage submitters to not stop there!).

Some investment in ink&paper for printing could be as important as any
commercially-printed book.  (OPINION:) Every local heraldic office
should have permanent access to the PicDic, a printed copy of the RfS,
and a decent [portable / weatherproof] storage container for the "road
load". Other storage as appropriate should be property of the office as
well (filing boxes / cabinet[s]).  Investment in blank CD-R or CD/RW
[etc.] for offline access to as many online resources as can be
"legally" archived might be a consideration as well, particularly for
things that take a long time to download or are known to be on sites
with problematic access.

Don't know what may already be in the bookchest for Westgate (too long
since I was there, and didn't get to spend much time heraldically then),
so I hope I'm not repeating too many things ...

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe (Mike C. Baker)
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em | alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com OR
MCBaker216 at cs.com
Buy my writings!: http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen |