[ANSTHRLD] Book help

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at texas.net
Mon Jul 10 22:37:30 PDT 2006

>Some investment in ink&paper for printing could be as important as any
>commercially-printed book.  (OPINION:) Every local heraldic office
>should have permanent access to the PicDic, a printed copy of the RfS,
>and a decent [portable / weatherproof] storage container for the "road
>load". Other storage as appropriate should be property of the office as
>well (filing boxes / cabinet[s]).

Oh, definitely.  Something waterproof is critical.  Many folks I know also
put a printed contents list on the inside of the box lid - so that it's
easy to make sure everything comes home.

>Investment in blank CD-R or CD/RW
>[etc.] for offline access to as many online resources as can be
>"legally" archived might be a consideration as well, particularly for
>things that take a long time to download or are known to be on sites
>with problematic access.

We got into a discussion about this on the Academy of S. Gabriel list at
one point.  My understanding is that printing out a copy of an article for
offline use is perfectly fine (same with saving a local copy for offline
use).  The difference gets to be if you printed out umpteen copies of the
article and distributed them.  That's the info I got (much of it from
article authors) when I did the first round of printing out articles for
the "color binders" for the Ansteorran travelling library.

So, he's right - you may want to allocate part of your budget for printouts
and folders.

Mari