[ANSTHRLD] Is this normal? Is there a tracer system?

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at texas.net
Sun Jun 25 11:53:01 PDT 2006

>> What is the possibility of [on-line commentary] being implemented at
>> the Kingdom level?
>
>OSCAR, unfortunately, was implemented assuming that it was for Laurel
>level only.

Actually, no it wasn't.  There's actually a design plan for OSCAR,
including possible feature enhancements for future version.  Expanding for
kingdom-internal use is one of the possible feature enhancements.  However,
feature enhancements on that level are prioritized after (1) getting the
Laurel-level commentary completely supported in OSCAR, and (2) getting in
place features that will make the decision writing for the sovereigns much
easier.

After that, then other enhancements will get looked at.

>Northshield has an on-line commentary system; perhaps it's portable.

Copying OSCAR for local use may also be do-able.  I honestly don't know.
If so, we'd have to have someone in kingdom who can support it and
administrate it.  If we do that, then the logical step is to figure out how
we can select submissions marked as passed in kingdom and export the data
for a direct import to OSCAR.

The biggest things that we, as a kingdom, can do to help make OSCAR
successful soonest is to (1) get our LoIs into OSCAR (whether Asterisk or
Bordure does that or someone gets deputized to do that, it doesn't matter
from the OSCAR point of view), and (2) for folks on the CoA mailing list
(the current round of people getting OSCAR accounts) to get your account
active and go in and play with it.  We're trying to smoke out the problems
soonest and we're at the point where having more people look at it is
better since each person has personal idiosyncracies when using a web page.

Info on the LoI entry: it is currently supported in 2 ways:
- you can cut and paste from the LoI doc currently produced into a web form
page (some basic tagging will need to be added: <i></i> around italics
items, <u></u> around underlined items, etc.)

or

- you can either write your LoI in OSCAR, and "finalize" it (which makes
those submissions available in OSCAR as an LoI, then print out that LoI
from OSCAR.

Any other questions?

Mari