[ANSTHRLD] Wisdom and comments desired

tmcd@panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Thu Mar 23 12:16:15 PST 2006

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, Tom Johnson <tdj_ent at hotmail.com> wrote:
> [someone else wrote:]
> >The existing:
> >
> >*
> > {http://heraldry.ansteorra.org:80/cgi-bin/oanda_name.cgi?p=Gryffri%20de%20Ne
> > wmarch} Gryffri de Newmarch
> >   {http://heraldry.ansteorra.org:80/cgi-bin/glossary.cgi?p=per+fess} Per
> > fess
> > {http://heraldry.ansteorra.org:80/cgi-bin/glossary.cgi?p=embattled}
> > embattled  {http://heraldry.ansteorra.org:80/cgi-bin/glossary.cgi?p=argent}
> > argent and  {http://heraldry.ansteorra.org:80/cgi-bin/glossary.cgi?p=azure}
> > azure, a griffin segreant
> > {http://heraldry.ansteorra.org:80/cgi-bin/glossary.cgi?p=sable} sable and a
> > {http://heraldry.ansteorra.org:80/cgi-bin/glossary.cgi?p=cross} cross
> > moline
> > {http://heraldry.ansteorra.org:80/cgi-bin/glossary.cgi?p=argent} argent.

Angle brackets replaced with {...} above so you see what I saw.
I suggest turning off HTML in outgoing e-mail.  You can also use
oanda.sca.org as your Ordinary and Armorial source.  That site not
only has the most current software, but also turns off glossary links
by default.

> >Proposed: Per fess argent and azure, a dragon statant sable and a
> >two swords in saltire argent.
> >
> >Shield divided in two (per fess) top is silver, bottom is blue. Top
> >charge is a dragon normal stance black in color.
> >
> >Bottom charge is 2 swords crossed, silver in color.

Thank you for the plain English description.  Just to confirm: the
swords are points upward and they're crossed in a X pattern, and
the dragon is standing on all four legs?

I suggest that heralds go to
<http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/regs.html> and download the Rules
for Submission, the CoA Admin Handbook, and the CoA Glossary of Terms.
The Admin Handbook is not often useful for the herald in the trenches,
but you can at least read it once to see what sorts of things are
covered.

Thank you for expressly saying that the dragon is statant.  The
College of Arms Glossary of Terms, Table 4, "Conventional
S.C.A. Default Postures", says that the default posture of the dragon
is segreant.  When you're not certain of the default orientation of
charge, if there even is one, it's always safer to blazon it.  Then
the worst that can happen is that someone up the chain deletes it for
brevity.  Leave it out by accident and someone could end up
conflict-checking the wrong design.

Other than the extra "a" that crept in somehow, I think yours is a
sufficient blazon.  When you have "Per LINE, A and B", it's assumed
that A is on one side of the line and B is on the other.

So
    Gryffri de Newmarch, Per fess embattled argent and azure, a
    griffin segreant sable and a cross moline argent.
versus
    Per fess argent and azure, a dragon statant sable and two swords
    in saltire argent.

(I need a bit of "group theory", because you can't count CDs for a
group until you know what the groups are.  Each design has co-equal
charges, all in standard arrangements and of equal visual weight.
So each device has one (1) charge group, which is the primary charge
group, containing 3 or 2 charges respectively.)

There are three ways to clear conflict:

- Rules for Submission X.1, Addition of Primary Charges - "Armory does
  not conflict with any protected armory that adds or removes the
  primary charge group."

- RfS X.2: "Simple armory does not conflict with other simple armory
  if the type of every primary charge is substantially changed."

- RfS X.4: "Two pieces of armory will not be considered to conflict if
  two clear ... differences exist between them."

If you can clear the designs by ANY ONE of those methods, they're
clear -- because each of them says "does not conflict if" its
conditions are met.

RfS X.2 says
    For purposes of this rule, simple armory is defined as armory that
    has no more than two types of charge directly on the field and has
    no overall charges.
Both arms are "simple", so X.2 can be used.

So the easy way to see that these two designs do not conflict is
   Gryffri: griffin, cross moline
   New: dragon, sword
and see that the types are all substantially different, and they're
both simple, so RfS X.2 says they're clear.

These are some examples of substantial difference from Francois's
tenure:
    NOT: a lion vs. a Continental panther
    yes: a chess rook versus a tower (a period chess rook had two
         large curled points on top)
    yes: feather versus feather fan
    NOT: couping an ordinary
    yes: cross formy (couped, splayed ends) versus bretessed (not
         couped, embattled)
    NOT: sun versus demi-sun
    NOT: cross barby (non-period) versus cross formy
    NOT: cross formy versus Maltese cross
    yes: tau cross versus regular cross
    yes: rose versus fleur-de-lys
    yes: thistle versus shamrock