[ANSTHRLD] On the subject of Consultation tables

kobrien at texas.net kobrien at texas.net
Wed May 24 11:23:35 PDT 2006

Quoting Star - Ansteorra <star at ansteorra.org>:

> Well, we can do two things...
>
> First we can purge them or at least mark them as questionable.

In the case of these two, I'd purge them (or not order them in the case of
the book).  The articles with "issues" I haven't brought up for discussion at
this point.

For front-line consultation that I've worked with, I've tried to keep the
sources that submitters actually handle to be reliable (including hard to mis-
use) instead of trying to have every source possible.  Also to keep a mobile
library to a reasonably transportable size.

For my personal library, I'll take one box if I'm going to a fighter practice
or a tiny event.

The books I need to take for a consultation table at a average-sized kingdom
event (not a huge event), end up filling about two boxes.

When my library has been a major source for an event the size of a Steppes
Warlord or a Coronation, it's ended up being 3 boxes.

Four boxes go to events the size of ATYC, AAA, Gulf Wars, etc.

And this is almost completely name books (very little armory) given my
library.

So, "right-sizing" a traveling library is important or it will be too big of
a hassle for someone to haul.  And lots of the books hauled won't get used.

This is the toughest trick, I think - bringing what's needed and not much
more.

> Armillary can make that happen.
>
> I guess my biggeer concern is how to push to get them off of the
> website.  That sca.org thing is akin to religion when it comes to
> online research.

I've passed this concern up the food chain.  We'll see what happens.

The general view I've seen among consulting folks is that the Medieval Names
Archive is much more reliable and useful than the articles on sca.org.  A lot
of this is due to the fact that it's much easier to post and update articles
there.

Mari